TEST LAB TECHNICIAN
InMotion is a global company that designs and manufactures complete motor and drive systems for electric and hybrid vehicles. Many of the world's leading electric vehicle manufacturers trust InMotion to provide innovative products for use in their vehicles. With engineering and manufacturing centers in the US, Sweden and China, working at InMotion US means being part of a shared vision where we work together developing the components needed for the electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. If you’re the kind of person who sees a problem, develops a solution, and engineers an improvement no one’s yet asked for, then we want to talk with you!
InMotion US is situated in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Blacksburg, VA with a unique mix of cultures that fits any stage of life. Advance your career in a dynamic, hands-on environment with the opportunity to collaborate with top-ranked engineering universities like nearby VA Tech and KTH in Stockholm Sweden. We offer an opportunity to create and implement your creative motor design solutions in a small business environment with large company support. To learn more about InMotion, visit evs-inmotion.com, and to learn more about Blacksburg, visit stepintoblacksburg.org.
We are looking for a Test Lab Technician to support electric motor, generator, and component testing for development and production teams. The primary objective of this role is to test prototypes and production products in InMotion’s testing lab and ensure all laboratory assets are calibrated, serviced and maintained. In addition, the successful candidate for this position must have a broad background in electrical machines, failure analysis, and hands on practical knowledge in the operation of key pieces of laboratory apparatus. In addition, the successful candidate for this position must have a broad background in electronics, electronic test equipment, test methods, and ability to work independently.
Our ideal candidate has a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination. Candidates should have demonstrated the ability to learn quickly and work effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and be excellent at multi-tasking.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all laboratory assets. Ensuring all equipment is maintained, calibrated and serviced on time.
- Work with engineering group to schedule, plan, and implement performance testing.
- Manage, develop, review and ensure conformance to all Laboratory risk assessments and best practices.
- When required, perform a wide variety of tests related to electrical machines. Test competence should include the following aspects:
- Mechanical – setup and operation of motor/dyno
- Electrical – setup, measure and record electrical characteristics of electrical machines
- Environmental – should be familiar with the testing of electrical machines in temperature extremes, and shock / vibration testing support
- Problem diagnosis – troubleshooting skills critical to this role
- Support engineering staff in the root cause analysis of test failures.
- Exhibit competence in the preparation of test setups specially the setup of dynamometer tests
- Support laboratory management in the procurement, purchase and installation of capital expenditure.
- Intrinsic knowledge of materials and automotive test standards.
- Support the Laboratory Manager in the identification and planning of future resources and laboratory facility requirements.
- Compile and report on data collected. Assuring the accuracy of equipment and data.
- Assist operations with analysis of returned sales product as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES NECESSARY:
- Excellent organization skills with an eye for detail.
- Experience with MS office tools (Outlook/Excel/Word/PowerPoint/Project) and Adobe products
- Experience of working with vendors and external test labs.
- Ability to follow oral, written, email, and text message instructions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals.
- Maintain top level professional integrity and appearance as an experienced Laboratory Technician.
- Extensive knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools and fixtures used in the testing of electrical machines.
- Ability to operate and maintain a wide variety of hand tools and power tools for the maintenance of laboratory apparatus.
- Ability to operate and use electrical measurement tools.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- An Associate Degree in Electronics Technology, Electrical Technology, Instrumentation, or appropriate equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience as a Test Technician
- Highly experienced candidates without a degree may also be considered.
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD, 401k)
- Generous vacation package
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
InMotion US is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, associate activities and general treatment during employment.