SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
InMotion is a global company that designs and manufactures complete motor and drive systems for electric and hybrid vehicles. Many of the world's leading electric vehicle manufacturers trust InMotion to provide innovative products for use in their vehicles. With engineering and manufacturing centers in the US, Sweden and China, working at InMotion US means being part of a shared vision where we work together developing the components needed for the electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. If you’re the kind of person who sees a problem, develops a solution, and engineers an improvement no one’s yet asked for, then we want to talk with you!
InMotion US is situated in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Blacksburg, VA with a unique mix of cultures that fits any stage of life. Advance your career in a dynamic, hands-on environment with the opportunity to collaborate with top-ranked engineering universities like nearby VA Tech and KTH in Stockholm Sweden. We offer an opportunity to create and implement your creative motor design solutions in a small business environment with large company support. To learn more about InMotion, visit evs-inmotion.com, and to learn more about Blacksburg, visit stepintoblacksburg.org.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to drive product improvement and generate unrivaled designs. From a clean sheet of paper, our Senior Design Engineers design motor, generator, and feedback mechanical components to a world-class level of performance, quality, manufacturability, innovation and cost competitiveness for the mobile markets of lift truck, bus and construction equipment including all-electric and hybrid versions. The opportunity also includes supporting the build and testing/verification of prototypes. We work in a unique team environment that includes electromagnetic, manufacturing, and quality engineers as well as program managers, sales and marketing representatives, and customers. A successful senior mechanical design engineer will have the mechanical design skills necessary to drive product improvement and will be integral in securing present and future business by consistently meeting or exceeding Voice of the Customer requirements. Our ideal candidate has a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination. Candidates should have demonstrated the ability to learn quickly and work effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and be excellent at multi-tasking.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mechanical design of the motor/generator’s interface to the customer, the stator and rotor including the shaft, bearing, and feedback assemblies which would also include bearing sizing, stress analysis, and material selection
- Use and develop analytical tools to iterate to produce optimized designs
- Perform stress analysis of the components using FEA to determine their robustness to rotational loads, vibration and shock.
- Work closely with customers and sales to ensure designs meet customer expectations regarding performance, cost and quality
- Lead design reviews and participate in DFMEAs and manufacturing process reviews
- Timely preparation of product cost, non-recurring engineering costs, proposals and documentation for new jobs
- Must be capable of translating incomplete customer requirements into useful technical specifications
- Stay abreast of developments in materials and mechanical components and be creative in the application of these new elements to enhance the capability of the new motor designs.
- Ownership of the mechanical design of the motor
- Ownership of execution and accuracy for engineering analysis work needed to support product and proposals
- Participate in Value Engineering, generating ideas and executing projects
- Provide design engineering support for manufacturing site production – local and offsite
- Assist in Quality and Design for Manufacturability improvements
- Define lab test procedures and supervise testing of the designs
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills in dealing with internal and external customers
- Must have good interpersonal skills in a multi-functional design team environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES NECESSARY:
- Self-motivated and able to work in a professional small company environment with limited direct supervision
- Ability and willingness to work directly with customers on resolution of complex technical issues
- Have an analytical mind which can analyze problems systemically and methodically to identify root cause and resolve problems
- Ability to travel within the U.S. and/or internationally on an occasional basis
- Ability to supervise lab work and assist “hands-on” when needed
- Proactive by nature with a positive attitude and ability to work well in a team setting
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships both internally and externally to facilitate good communication
- Strong analytical and creative skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in ME or MSME preferred
- 7+ years of experience with electric motors and/or rotating machinery
- Experience in NX PLM modelling and Creo modelling software
- Experience with Ansys FEA for stress, vibration and shock analysis
- Knowledge of heat transfer in a motor context and the use of MotorCad for thermal analysis
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
InMotion US is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, associate activities and general treatment during employment.